Sony Changes Course on PlayStation PC Releases

Sony Interactive Entertainment is stepping back from one of its most visible strategies of the last several years: bringing major PlayStation exclusives to PC after their console launch windows. For a time, this approach seemed like an effective compromise. PlayStation kept its first-party games exclusive at launch, then generated new long-tail revenue later through PC ports.

That model brought titles such as God of War, The Last of Us Part I, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Marvel’s Spider-Man to a wider audience. It also helped Sony build credibility among PC players who had previously expected PlayStation Studios titles to remain permanently locked to console.

Now, that window is closing. PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst has told staff during an internal town hall that the company’s narrative-driven single-player games will remain console exclusives going forward.

What Hulst Reportedly Told PlayStation Staff

This follows earlier claims from Bloomberg that Sony was reconsidering the value of PC ports for its prestige single-player games.

This is not the same as Sony abandoning PC entirely. Multiplayer, live-service, and online-focused projects may still follow different release strategies, especially when a larger active player base is essential to the game’s long-term health.

SCOOP: PlayStation studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company's narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg's reporting from earlier this year.Original story from March: www.bloomberg.com/news/article…

Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier.bsky.social) 2026-05-18T18:47:45.020Z

The reported policy change appears focused on the cinematic first-party catalogue, the exact kind of games that have historically defined the brand: story-led, premium, console-selling experiences.

Ghost of Yōtei, Saros, and Marvel’s Wolverine Could Define the New Era

Sony has not issued a public statement naming every affected title, but earlier reports suggested that games such as Ghost of Yōtei and Saros were likely to remain exclusive rather than receive later PC versions.

If the strategy holds, future high-profile releases like Marvel’s Wolverine may also be positioned more firmly as console-first and console-only experiences. That would mark a major change from Sony’s recent PC ambitions, especially after the company invested in Nixxes, a studio known for PC porting work.

The move also reframes Sony’s competitive posture. Instead of treating PC as a second revenue phase for its single-player blockbusters, PlayStation may once again be prioritising exclusivity as a core hardware advantage.

Why Sony May Be Refocusing on Console Value

The logic is straightforward, even if it risks frustrating PC players. PlayStation’s biggest advantage has always been its first-party catalogue. If players believe those games will eventually come to PC, the incentive to buy console hardware becomes weaker over time.

Sony’s previous PC strategy was widely seen as a sensible way to monetise older releases without damaging launch-window console sales. However, if leadership now believes that even delayed PC ports weaken the PlayStation ecosystem, a return to stricter exclusivity becomes easier to understand.

The risk is reputational. PC players who supported Sony’s ports may now feel the door is closing just as the company had begun building trust on the platform. For PlayStation console owners, however, the message is clearer: Sony may be preparing to make its biggest single-player games feel exclusive again in the strongest possible sense.

Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *